&noscript=1 /> Interactive map - Holidays on farms in South Tyrol
San Candido

San Candido

The Franciscan Monastery

The Franciscan Monastery

Tourist information Innichen/San Candido
Via P.-P.-Rainer Straße
39038 San Candido
Operation Schedules
General description

The Franciscan Church was consecrated by the archbishop of Bressanone in 1697. The church is characterised by being back to basics, as the friar churches built during the Counter-Reformation clearly differ from traditional Collegiate Churches dedicated to belongings and culture through their simple and clear method of construction (planning: Franciscan friar Vitus Rastbichler from the Ötztal Valley). The Order's ideal of simplicity and poverty is reflected in the absence of a high bell tower and complex vaults and frescoes. After the entrance there's the small Chapel of Saint Anthony annexed to the nave destined for private meditation. The Fathers originally recited the choral prayers from the gallery. Not much of what distinguished the initial version of the church remains to be seen today, with the exception of the large oil paintings behind the side altars and the Franciscan saints on the southern wall. Today's altars are nice examples of Rococo art. The careful restoration works performed between 1992 and 1994 provided the Convent with its original appearance. The restoration project was awarded the Europa Nostra Prize in June, 1994. Visiting hours: daily (except Monday morning) 8 am - 6.30 pm

description to arrive at destination

You can reach Innichen / San Candido easily by train, by bus or by car. Please contact the Tourist Info Innichen / San Candido to get information about timetables and free parking areas.