Getting to the starting point of the tour or point of interest by public transport is easy and convenient.
Starting in Colfosco - near the church - head west along trail no. 4 through the Stella Alpina valley, passing a wayside shrine, until you come to a fork. Here you leave trail no. 4, which is signposted for Puez, to take trail no. 7 to the right. The trail crosses a very steep grassy slope and leads you up to the Forcela Sassongher passage. This is where the most difficult part of the climb begins. Keep the right and cross a steep scree slope to reach the rocks leading up to the summit. There are fixed cables to help you clamber up the smooth rocks, before you reach an uphill section that takes you across scree to the wide area at the very highest point (2,665 m).
Go down the same way. When you arrive to the Forcela di Sassongher gap, continue north on mountain trail no. 5, go down steeply to a line of rocks beneath the Para da Giai, then over a steep scree slope down past the source of the Ruac stream to the Ütia de Gardenacia mountain hut. The descent continues on mountain trail no. 5 to La Villa.
Above the Ütia Sponata hut, you can shorten the descent by taking the Gardenacia chairlift down to La Villa.
The Sassongher Mountain is the symbol of Corvara. This moderately difficult alpine tour, some of which is secured with cables, leads to one of the finest panoramic points in our valley. At 2,665 m, the summit terrace of the Sassongher offers a 360° view of the Dolomites.
description to arrive at destination
- Coming from Innsbruck: take the A 13 and the A 22 toll motorway and exit at Bressanone/Brixen, following the signs to Brunico/Bruneck along the Val Pusteria/Pustertal road as far as San Lorenzo/St.Lorenzen. Follow the signs to Val Badia/Gadertal
- Coming from Verona-Bolzano: take the A 22, exit at Bressanone/Brixen and continue as above
The nearest train stations are:
- Brunico - 37 Km
- Bolzano (via Passo Gardena) - 72 Km (via Brunico) – 100 Km
- Connection train station – Alta Badia by the local bus SAD: www.sad.it
- Innsbruck - 130 km
- Munich – 330 km
- Venice Treviso / Venice Marco Polo – 180 / 200 km
- Verona – 213 km
- Milan Bergamo / Milan Malpensa - 310 /400 km
- Information airport transfer: www.suedtirolbus.it - www.cortinaexpress.it