&noscript=1 /> Interactive map - Holidays on farms in South Tyrol
 
Villandro/Villanders

Villandro/Villanders

Church St. Moritz

Church St. Moritz

by Sandra
Contacts
Tourist Info Villanders
Vicolo F.-v.-Defregger / F.-v.-Defreggergasse 6
39040 Villandro/Villanders
Open
Operation Schedules
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
May
Jun
Jul
Aug
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec

On a sunny terrace south of the village centre lies the hamlet of Sauders with the small church dedicated to St. Maurice. The church is first documented in 1406, although a smaller chapel likely stood here even earlier. Around 1670, it was remodelled in the Baroque style. In 1793, the church and the surrounding houses were burned down by the French.

Inside, three ribbed groin vaults with transverse ribs rest on simple pilasters. The high-altarpiece depicts the church’s patron, St. Moritz (St. Maurice). Beside the knightly patron saint are figures of St. George and the Fourteen Holy Helpers, set in small round-arched niches. The keys for visiting the church can be collected at Winklerhof.

From Klausen, take the LS87 to Villanders; at DESPAR, turn right towards St. Moritz–Sauders. After about 5 minutes’ drive, you will arrive there.