The Gothic church of St. Peter, built in the 11th century, is located at the southern entrance to the village of Auer/Ora, next to the local cemetery. In past times, it was the most important church of the surrounding villages and is situated in a pit about 5 meters deep and was often inaccessible due to flooding of the nearby Rio Nero stream. It had to be uncovered again and again and was finally protected by a stone wall. Today, after restoration work in the 1970s, the church is open to the public for Holy Masses and celebrations and houses the oldest organ in South Tyrol that can still be played. It was built around 1600 by the organ builder Hans Schwarzenbach.
description to arrive at destination
Freeway A22, exit Egna/Ora, direction Ora
Getting to the starting point of the tour or point of interest by public transport is easy and convenient.